Try the political quiz

2.9k Replies

@ISIDEWITHDiscuss this answer...11yrs

@ISIDEWITHDiscuss this answer...11yrs

@ISIDEWITHDiscuss this answer...11yrs

Yes, but only after performing 4 years of military service or graduating college

@4PQN7G4from New York  answered…2yrs

No! They are citizens of their parents homelands. The 14th amendment was expressly for the children of slaves. Unless the parents were legally in the US and in process of achieving permanent or citizenship status then the kids should NOT get citizenship.

@4RS8N5Yfrom Florida  answered…2yrs

Once an illegal has committed a crime and gets deported for it he/she should be tattooed so that when he/she simply re-crosses the border anyone can see they are illegal and report them. We have had enough instances of repeat crimes from illegal aliens.

@4Q4HBM9from California  answered…2yrs

@4R2CGJKfrom Wisconsin  answered…2yrs

I agree with the 14th amendment: All persons born or naturalized* in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

*Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act

@4Y3WDS2from Ohio  answered…2yrs

Maybe we should ALL formally apply at a certain age??? Is it a birthright?

@4X8J2BHfrom Illinois  answered…2yrs

I do not believe in the moral legitimacy of the concept of "Citizenship," which basically states that people are the "Property" of "their" government --- which is another word for SLAVE of "their" government.

@58F3P54from New York  answered…2yrs

@4RKFM2Ffrom Maryland  answered…2yrs

Oh just make all Western Hemisphere nations new States of the United States of America and be done with Manifest Destiny. (Except Brazil until they adopt a coherent electric grid.)

@4RLPZW8from Virginia  answered…2yrs

Not sure. Really complicated. Children born here who are forced to live with parents in a ghetto where they are not educated or taught english are doomed. They should be given access to learning english, healthcare and become citizens if they desire at a certain age.

@4QQM9S9from Hawaii  answered…2yrs

The 14th amendment was written in different times. They could not foresee the future ramifications.

@4YS8D6Zfrom Oregon  answered…2yrs

Children of illegal immigrants should be deported with their parents. Children of illegals who are born here should be immediately placed into foster care and the parents deported.

@4PW3ZPQfrom New York  answered…2yrs

Yes if they were born here, or should be required to to complete military or social volunteer service , have and have no criminal record

@4QZX9BGfrom Maine  answered…2yrs

@4PKGY7Nfrom California  answered…2yrs

If the parents were in the US during conception yes, but not if they came here just to have the baby, or were just here temporarily for work, then no.

@4RYHLZQfrom Washington  answered…2yrs

yes and we should at that moment of birth have a process in place to make the parents legal at the very least work here, unless they are engaged in criminal activities. Only then should the family be split up for the safety of the child.

@4Q4W9FRfrom Pennsylvania  answered…2yrs

@4JHCCKKfrom Idaho  answered…2yrs

Do we REALLY want to go fight World War One again? Are people really so stupid as to not remember that widespread failure to grant citizenship rights ethnic minorities was why Ferdinand was shot and ignited a world war? Yeah, unfortunately, we probably are that stupid.

@4QXCHZBfrom Michigan  answered…2yrs

There are many exceptions to be considered. Children who were dumped here by parents who are not worthy of U.S. immigration have it rough. Many who were left here as kids are now adults with no other home but here in the U.S. They should have a path to immigration and citizenship. How else can they become legal? (Kids conceived of TEMPORARY workers should NOT be citizens until their PARENTS become citizens.)

@4RTM3CJfrom Northern Mariana Islands  answered…2yrs

@4Q2YKW2from Pennsylvania  answered…2yrs

@4PZNVP3from California  answered…2yrs

Only the ones born to parents who had lived here for 5 years and t heir parents have no criminal records in their country and here.

@4WF9DBNfrom North Carolina  answered…2yrs

@4Q9K62Pfrom North Carolina  answered…2yrs

Yes, but it should not grant their parents citizenship and only after 4 years of the child serving in the military.

@4PQZTCQfrom Maine  answered…2yrs

Yes, if they were born here. Changing this would require a constitutional amendment.

@4RKK4PFfrom Oklahoma  answered…2yrs

No, If an illegal immigrant gives birth in an American hospital and it is discovered that they are here illegally, the hospital should be required to report the family to the authorities. At this point, run a background check and if they have no criminal record here or in their home country, they can go through the appropriate channels to gain citizenship or be deported.

@933K4DPRepublican from New Jersey answered…2 days

If they were born here and their parents are residents, they should be granted citizenship. Any loopholes in our jus soli citizenship system should also be eliminated to ensure that surrogacy, when the biological parents live elsewhere, is not a vehicle to citizenship.

@98WQJJD from Washington answered…3 days

Yes, but the child should still be deported to live with his parents but he can come back to the US when he's older.

@98WKXNDRepublican from Tennessee answered…3 days

Yes, if they came before the age of 18, with no felony crime committed, they should be granted citizenship after 10 years of residing in the US.

@98VZGKQ from Indiana answered…4 days

Yes, but only if they have been educated from third grade inside the US.

@98VMMHGIndependent from South Carolina answered…5 days

If they would like constitutional rights as an American, then they need to be able to apply for a citizenship

@98V62JHWomen’s Equality from Michigan answered…6 days

Yes if they were born here or need a safe place to stay away from their home country.

@98TMQCZ from South Carolina answered…7 days

Yes, but they cannot grant their parents citizenship until they are 21

@98TGJBBRepublican from Illinois answered…1wk

@98TG7RH from California answered…1wk

@98T83BW from Texas answered…1wk

@98T6HVF from Iowa answered…1wk

Yes, after they go through help by the government. The children should be 0-16 of age.

@98SCN8T from Indiana answered…1wk

Yes, but abolish the birth right citizenship because it encourages illegal immigrants to enter the country to have children in order to become legal.

@98S89BV from New York answered…1wk

No, the should apply but if their parents are granted citizenship, children under 18 should be given citizenship automatically

@98S44J9 from Texas answered…2wks

Yes, if they were born here and bring back the wet foot dry foot policy

@98S25GC from Illinois answered…2wks


The historical activity of users engaging with this question.

Loading data...

Loading chart... 


Loading the political themes of users that engaged with this discussion

Loading data...